Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Today is Wednesday...it's all a bit confusing as I had NO work yesterday (meaning I had a day off of all three jobs...& believe it or not- NO basketball)! October 24th is Zambia's Independence Day...& I must confess I didn't do anything to celebrate...unless you count Monday morning when I was teaching my kids. I asked them all to create Zambian flags so that they could bring them home to share in any festivities. My eldest class didn't know the National Anthem, so there was no singing, but the 5-7 year olds gave it their all & three led the class while the others waved their flags. It was really fun. With my 3 & 4 year olds, the most we could manage was "happy birthday Zambia". It was so much fun...so does that count as celebration??!!

What I did celebrate this year for the first year ever was DIWALI. I have never attended the Indian New Year before, but I sure wouldn't mind doing it again! I managed to score free tickets from work, so me & a few friends decided to check out the events. It was really fun- I have never been to an annual festival that marks all of one country's religions. We were danced through Hinduism, Islam & Christianity...it was great- plus there were fireworks & tantalizing Indian cuisine!! I loved it & wish I would've brought my camera so you could see how cute the little kids were who were particpating in traditional dancing. The youngest ones would lose their attention & watch their friends until someone nearby would give him/her a little shove so that that kid would start moving again- TOO FUNNY! The Danish girl I went with cracked me up because she said "I've never seen so many Indians in one spot in my life. Where are they hiding in Lusaka"?

Cheers to continuing to find new daily excitement!! All is peachy, catch up again soon...

No comments: