Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Mouth is Watering

Today is the day- one year ago- my grandmother passed away. None of the family wanted to make a big occasion of the day but I could not let the day pass without notice. And nothing seemed to make my Gran happier than news of her granddaughter preparing good Mennonite meals. So I find myself trying to make homemade noodles for the first time ever. They will be accompanied by barbecued farmer's sausage & peas- oh, and of course, cream gravy (schmandtfat). As I was slicing the noodles up (pictures to follow) my mouth started watering. Isn't is amazing how taste-buds can dredge up memories?





























The cream gravy took forever to thicken but the food turned out fabulously- almost like Gran's.















There was cause to smile on my drive to yoga; covering the soccer pitch was a gaggle of Canadian Geese- a warm memory of time with my Grandpa. Today is a day for me to celebrate the memories of my dear grandparents. And the food was great too*grin*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gran would have been proud Sarah...I must say that that supper looks pretty appetizing. I saw the geese there as well. I'll look at your picture while I struggle through my fish dinner tonight.
POPS

Walter said...

I was in Nepal trekking my guts out, but that didn't stop the thoughts of Mom a couple of days ago.
Maybe I'll try noodles and schmaunfat here, or maybe some verenki. No farmer sausage though... I think I'll be pretty much a vegetarian while I'm out here in the wilds...