Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Vinkubala

Pronounced: Vin-ku-vala

Definition: Bemba delicacy of fried caterpillars

Now, if I was really smart I would’ve brought my camera to Kolo’s for her “Zambian cuisine” dinner party. But I really wasn’t expecting so many traditional dishes. Of course, my eyes were riveted on the two big bowls of fried black caterpillars. All of my favourite other dishes are there: village chicken, lumanda (particular type of vegetable cooked in a peanut sauce), nshima, chikanda...But there I am, stopped with one hand on the red wine bottle peering down at the brown-headed, semi-curled, many-legged (or furry?) caterpillars.

My words of recent days echoed in my head “I would only try those things if I knew they were prepared properly, at a friend’s place”. Push came to shove & I popped one. The taste was actually ok, the texture less appetizing; it was like a sand bomb had exploded in my mouth. Confession: I only managed to eat one. And I felt like the remnants of caterpillar gut were stuck in my teeth until I had thoroughly washed it down with food & wine.

I’ve been chuckling reminiscing about my days at the former Provincial Museum of Alberta. The husband to my Grade 3 teacher had me eating live mealworms…& I only managed one fried caterpillar??

What is life without a little adventure? Next time I’ll take photos*giggling*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah you are a nutbar...properly prepared or not...I'll stick with rib-eye... thanks for the chuckle this morning.POPS

Clara said...

And to think you wouldn't eat beef for fear of Mad Cow in England?? Good Lord!! I gotta learn to let go.....!!xuxux