Thursday, July 19, 2007

Christmas in July- 2007



For anyone who has ever attempted to send a parcel to Zambia, you’ll be sympathetic to this story! The Zambian postal service is (very politely) ‘unpredictable’. Packages & letters can take between one month and twelve to arrive! My friend Sarah's mom sent her a Christmas package that arrived months after Christmas- surprise! Fortunately for those of us who befriended Sarah, we benefited from the Christmas decorations & crackers this July. We had such a fun evening listening to Christmas music & eating divine food.





More than anything, (except maybe the wine) I enjoyed what Kakoma called "Millionaire's shortbread". I asked him what it was & he said "Well, you know ordinary shortbread"? Me, "Yeah, sure". Kakoma: "This has one layer of shortbread, one layer caramel, topped with chocolate". I nearly died after my first bite. I'm still waiting for the recipe...too divine. (And I've never before tasted a Zambian man's baking; cooking yes, but never a sweet course. He set the bar high)!

No comments: