Monday, April 27, 2009

Finally

I think that running a half-marathon has been on my “goals” list since 2004. I remember well training for that with Jen’s Cody; I blew my ankle about a week before the race & cheered Cody on from the sidelines*smile*. Saturday my running partner & I finally just said- “Let’s do it”. It had been postponed since Easter weekend (first him then me). Here’s a brief rundown of our Saturday morning.

We met at the usual spot, usual time. We set off on the route I had mapped out to cover the 21 kilometres. About 5 km’s in Coach wants to take a different route & after a couple of seconds of confusion we realized a minor miscommunication. But no worries- coach could do 21km’s in his sleep, so he agrees to running the 21km's. Nothing of interest happens until I pull over to do a bit of stretching- that was around the 16km mark. (My goal was to run until about 15-17km & then catch my breath & stretch out a bit) so I was quite chuffed to have reached that point. At 17km I rolled my ankle which was no big deal because I do that all the time. By 18km I had a stitch that wouldn’t go away but I certainly wasn’t stopping. Then I got grumpy & said “Coach, this isn’t fun anymore. I think I max out at about 18km”. Then we started with the psycho-babble: “We’re so fortunate to have our health”, “It’s not supposed to be fun the whole way through- just think of how good we’ll feel after” & the like. With about 1.5 km’s to go I stopped to stretch again & just tell my brain that this was it. And off we went! And I did enjoy the last leg of the run. I had hoped that Alvin’s basketball game would finish earlier so that he could catch photos across the “finish line”. No luck. The best I can do is to include a photo of “the aftermath”. I think my feet were hardest hit because I spent the rest of the weekend as usual- except that I was busy telling anyone who could hear that I completed my half-marathon. (Oh, & we did it in just over 2 hours which I think must be a pretty slow time- but I don’t care)*muhahahah*.












I don’t think I’ll sign up for another for a while…but this bragging bit is great!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I'll make sure Cody reads this entry Sarah. He will be so proud of you. Better late than never.

Shalala Oliver Sepiso said...

I am planning to do the Lusaka Marathon on 1st December 2012.