Monday, October 15, 2007

Recent reads

Every now & again I like to take a few minutes to reflect upon places I've escaped to in the beautiful world of fiction! I suppose this indicates that I miss book clubs...but anyway, here are a few of my recent reads. (My bookshelf is fuller than it has ever been since I packed half a suitcase of books en route from Edmonton to Lusaka, then inherited a couple from sojourners in Zambia)...

I read this great book called Summer gone by David MacFarlane (Canadian content). I was excited to read the book because it was supposed to weave tales of three generations (grandfather- father- son) of northern Ontario summers. And weave tales he did- but lacking one major aspect. Many of you know I spent a summer (or five) in Northern Ontario growing up. I used to live for the long days spent in the deep lake at Old MacDonald hill (we're talking North of Timmins people)*grin*. But being an Alberta native, I'd never met with the horseflies of Northern Ontario. I remember being quite like a hippo in the water, I'd swim underwater for as long as possible, then come up for a quick breath of air before diving below again. I wasn't in synchronized swimming training, but only dodging horseflies. And believe it or not, MacFarlane didn't mention once, the crazy number of vicious horseflies while telling tales of summers at the cottage in North Ontario. I was indeed disappointed.

I also just finished reading the last of the Harry Potter series. I love them all. And perhaps now I can indulge in watching the movies...

On a completely different tangent I read Pox: Genius, madness, and the mysteries of syphilis. I thought this Deborah Hayden book would be a little too heavy on the epidemiology for my liking, but it was a fascinating read. It takes into account several famous (or notorious) people during the past centuries and explains how they may have actually had syphilis. Like I said- fascinating.

While home, my mom lent me a must-read. It's called Water for elephants by Sara Gruen. I think everyone has a secret curiosity regarding the circus, and Gruen masterfully ties circus-life into ageing seniors and their fantasies while whittling away hours in seniors homes. I'd recommend this book to anyone! On the never ending plane rides to & from home, I did finally get through Harriet Beecher Stowe's acclaimed Uncle Tom's Cabin. I'm so happy I made it through all it's "classic-ness"- it is a lovely timepiece.

Now I'm knee deep in A civil action & again, am intrigued. Was it really a blockbuster movie? I did read a bad book recently- Black Chameleon. It sounded a bit promising in that it takes place first in Kenya, then UK, then Zambia- but it's a bit too colonial for me. Ok, not even well written and racist. But I had to finish it in hopes that it would get better.

So, when I'm not blogging I guess you know where to find me*smile*. And just to move away from books for a minute- I rode the bike into work today for the first time ever! I'm so hyper, it was such a great ride. The worrying bit is how I'll manage in rush hour traffic after work. I'm sure my cycling trials will instigate a blog or two...keep an eye out*grin*

No comments: