Tuesday, September 02, 2008

September already...

Hard to believe another long weekend has passed & we’re already into September. I have a few stories (largely uninteresting) and no photos to add. Shameful isn’t it?

· I did not manage to find my “funeral hat” this weekend, though still attended the unveiling of Chola’s tombstone. Since I missed her burial it was nice to know where she was laid to rest & to remember her while being surrounded by her friends & family.

· I enjoyed some gin & juice on Saturday with a few friends as per one of my goals! Holla.

· I also have successfully applied to convert my Canadian drivers’ licence into a Zambian drivers licence. They have given me a temporary permit to drive & I should receive the official one in a months’ time- watch out Lusaka! (And this may sound like an easy exercise, but believe me- it wasn’t. Thank goodness Canadian Labour Day is not a holiday in Zambia and I was able to spend the day standing in line-ups in several different buildings- I actually felt like a cow in one of those runs that lead it back to the barn. And if you ever want to meet a grumpy person, I now know where to bring you in Lusaka- a particular cashier woman would have rather barked at me than say good afternoon. Disaster- but a successful disaster nonetheless)!

· I did not find time to go shopping at my favourite second hand clothes market, but I did get some school work done, so I suppose that’s worth something (especially since my big research proposal is due in two weeks) YIPE!

· I realized I have missed August’s indulgence. If only I’d found that funeral hat. Or a pair of shoes today. Sigh. Guess I’ll make up for it in September by having TWO indulgences... or maybe that’s more likely to happen after my exams in October.

President Mwanawasa will be buried tomorrow (deemed a public holiday so I will have another day off work), and life should start returning to normal (Youth basketball league should re-commence this Saturday).
Signing off

No comments: