Monday, November 03, 2008

Feels like spring

No, that's not it- it looks like spring. It is far too hot to feel the refreshing spring rains & cool air. That’s one thing I’ve never understood; how do these flowers spring up & out in the debilitating heat of Zambia’s “hot and dry season”? I suppose we’ve had a bit of rain, but the jacaranda trees always bloom at peak hot/dry season. Bizarre. Anyway, I’m posting for two major reasons:

1. Though Zambia’s elections may be contested, all has been calm and peaceful. I am so thankful. The opposition leader has lost out so we shall see if he kicks up a fuss. I was disappointed at the Inauguration ceremony when Mugabe appeared, proud as a peacock. I think the late Mwanawasa must have turned over in his grave. Zambia denounced his leadership shortly before Mwanawasa passed away, and now he’s celebrating with the current Zambian leader. Ah well, can’t have it all.

2. I’m thrilled to report that my flowers are blooming; my little garden is starting to flourish- hoorray!!

First, here's my portulaca that has come back after I thought I'd lost it. There is a stick in the background used to be my lavender:-( I'm not sure it will come back*hahah*

















I think these are called Elephant ears & that my mother loves them. I didn't plant this but they have started spreading through my flowerbed, I may have to transplant the smaller ones so they do not take over my flowers...















I believe this is some kind of day lily- such beautiful sunny colours- they always make me smile! I'm so thrilled that I managed to transplant them from work to home- I guess my green thumb is coming back?

No comments: