Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fish ‘n chips Zambian style

Hi all, I’m not sure if I mentioned this on the blog before, but I’m actually trying to get myself to start eating fish. Apparently they are so healthy etc that I actually started feeling guilty about not eating fish. Sadly, I’ve never liked the taste, so slowly I’ve been figuring out ways of preparing filets in a manner which I find palatable. So far I’ve started to enjoy tilapia fried with ginger, garlic & doused in lemon.

Well, Kolo decided she wanted fish for our weekly “nshima” night so she prepared “Kariba bream”: Zambian style. (I think these bream are probably an environmentally sound option because they’re caught locally, not farmed etc). But imagine finding this waiting for the frying pan when I walked in the door from coaching.
















Hahahaha. And what do they say- out of the pan & into the fire…so much for my tilapia “fish fingers”*hahaha*. This is the bream post-frying.















I have to admit, the meat itself tasted good; it’s the presentation that was lacking. I only managed a few bites before admitting defeat; then I gorged myself on a lovely plate of potatoes & various veg:-) But I reckon I'm doing pretty well...for a girl who wouldn't touch fish a year ago!

1 comment:

luke said...

keep at it! I was a "bleurgh fish" person till a few years ago when I thought "why am i being so ridiculous" - the first time I went to Thailand was a turning point for me, seeing them catch the fish by day, then have it waiting to be cooked on a bed of ice at night... now thats fresh! Try a few types, some are stronger in flavour, more oily, less fishy... enjoy x