Friday, February 26, 2010

Chipata trip

I must say I am fortunate to be able to have gone out to Zambia’s Eastern province to monitor a couple of projects we have funded in both Katete & Chipata districts. They say there is always adventure when “in the field”. There was no exception here. Please enjoy (?) a pictorial display of the ups & downs of gorgeous Eastern province Zambia.

First, Alvin teased me when I was departing; that whole bag for two nights away. Just think, double that & it’s your allowance to return back home. Oy oy. I guess I need a crash course in packing…




















I couldn’t help but think how amazing it would be to wake up to such views everyday (& it was miserable & rainy most of my stay)!
This is the view of Chipata town from way up on the hill





















This is the view from the back of the lodge



















What with all the rain we had one heck of a trip to a rural school. Small wonder only 1 of the 3 vehicles made it through to the school.


























Due to the predicament I had to rely on a more reliable form of transport.I must say I thought of a few girlfriends in this situation. It has been a small goal of mine to start ‘looking’ more professional…I put on a suit and was trying to apply a bit of lipstick on these treacherous roads before arriving at the destination. Talk about sublimely ridiculous. I ended up at the meeting with black feet, muddy trousers and what- LIPSTICK? Really I must work on evaluating the appropriateness of my decisions…given the circumstances.























However, the views were stunning & the meeting went well & my heart felt full with laughter.
























The other advantage to heading out of the city is buying fresh farm produce on the way back to Lusaka. I picked up my favourite mushrooms- though they’re a disaster to clean (terribly sandy). Dinner was delicious last night though…


1 comment:

il duke said...

Glad that wasn't the road we got a flat tire on just outside of Lusaka. That would've made things much more difficult than they already were considering we couldn't undo the nuts on the wheel rim.