Sunday, August 07, 2011

To Each His/Her Own

I rarely write about when I don't reach a goal, or when I cheat on my morning runs. I feel like it's time to come clean. The other morning when I set off for my 5:15 a.m. run it was pretty darn chilly. It was also not sunny and bright. Out came the fleece vest and thoughts of a looming Fall. Drat, I will have to come up with another exercise program because in the coming months morning runs will not be so enjoyable. The very next morning when the alarm clock went off I rolled over & stayed under the warm duvet.

But it turned out to be a gorgeous Friday and I made up for it in the afternoon when I went for a glorious run in the full afternoon sun. I chose a route down by the river (feel free to cue Neil Young- it is Folk Fest weekend in Edmonton) where the blue sky contrasted against the glistening green leaves. The river is so full from all the rain - it felt positively lush.

As I trundled along - enjoying the colours, the red-winged blackbird atop the highest branch, and the robin who's lunch I interrupted (he flew off into the bushes and left a writhing worm) - I noticed an older man out enjoying the trails as well. He had his book open in front of him as he walked along the trail. At first I judged- seriously? You need to read a book out on this glorious afternoon? And then I thought- if that's what it takes to get him out, or if that's how he enjoys his strolls- so be it. I will enjoy the colours, the birds, and the exercise in my own way...he can enjoy it in his.

Cheating on my early morning Friday run turned out to be a great thing- my weekend surely started out on a bright note.

1 comment:

Holly Higgins said...

Oh gosh... I laughed because I know what its like to hit snooze on the alarm instead of get up and go! Bravo for getting out there girl.
Always cheering for you from Victoria, HH xoxo