Sunday, November 11, 2012

Good old Snail Mail

The move into our new home has been fairly straightforward. There have been a couple "whoopsies", "wherever could I have put that", and minor adjustments to our new digs. For the most part when I'm out & about I smile thinking about how nice it is to have: a garage these snowy mornings, our very own space to invest in, a luxurious master bedroom. But there's been a little hiccough in receiving our snail mail. For the most part I've joined the masses with email, on-line payments, cell phones etc. I have though, kept a few areas for push backs (still no Facebook for me...but I do LinkedIn) - and I still love exchanging the occasional thoughtful cards via mail/post. And of course I have to support my brother the postie, right?

When we bought this place we didn't realize the mail isn't delivered to the door. A few days after move-in I called Canada Post to see about where we could collect our mail. I was assured that it would be no problem- a mere three days- for new keys to be delivered - noting that the 'superbox' is located conveniently just down the road. Sure enough, the keys are delivered (a few days late- but at the nearby post office). I was so excited I was nearly dancing down the street to the mailbox. Unfortunately the key didn't open the box. I tried a couple other compartments just to confirm I was aiming for the correct lock. I know I'm not good with locks so I called back-up (a very patient mother) to try out the keys as well. No dice.

On the phone with Canada Post on Saturday I was assured a new 'ticket' would be sent to the depot with high priority & that new keys should be available on Monday. I only get the call on Tuesday that the keys will be ready Wednesday. Snow storm= no keys Wednesday. Next day- 3 ladies trying first, to figure out how to spell my surname and second- why there are no keys. I was told I had already collected my keys.
Smoke is coming out of my ears as I get back on the phone with the depot. Unsure of what could possibly be wrong the gentlemen promises to call me at work today (Friday) with news. The keen agent called me back within 10 minutes to admit: "you have the right keys but the lock hasn't been changed".

Sweet.

The keen postal worker promised that he would personally take care of changing the lock for me on Friday. And you know what- he did! I need to call his supervisor & thank him/her for their one agent who took the time to listen to my problem & promptly solve it.

How's that for a happy Friday story?!*grin*

No comments: