Thursday, February 22, 2007

Last

Last: Zambian term that could mean many things depending on the situation, tone, or level of sarcasm. I couldn't think up a better way to describe the current confusion in my heart, body & mind.

I have waited months to make this announcement, & now that is comes to my moment of glory, I feel a twinge of sadness. The great news is, that after a ridiculously long interview process, I have (out of over 350 applicants) been selected for a permanent position under the Aid Section at the Canadian High Commission in Lusaka. I've waited nearly one month for the paperwork to clear- and it is now official! My title will be 'administrative assistant', however I feel like a more appropriate title would be: "development tourism officer". First I'm thrilled- it's a great step for my professional development (working for CIDA will be great on my C.V, I'm working in my field of recreational management/ international development, I get to pursue French classes once again etc etc), & personally- I will be able to plan the next couple of years with my Zambian boyfriend. I have stability, benefits, & for the first time in my life I'm kissing contract life 'good-bye'.

However I know the decision weighs heavy in the hearts of my parents, family, my friends, & especially my grandmother. In my heart, despite the people I miss daily, I'm sure this is the right decision for me. I have thrown myself whole-heartedly into Lusaka life, & I'm in no way ready to leave here. I suppose I just need everyone to know that my door will always be open, now that I know I'll be here for a while. The 'permanent' job will also provide me with the opportunity to travel home...let's plan for summer 2007!

Please, continue to keep me in the loop of all of the weddings, new babies, & events that take place from wherever you are reading this. News from home always keeps me afloat on my bad days, & connected on my good days!

I feel like somehow this is a new beginning, & I'm so excited for the opportunities that will continue flowing in my direction.

Last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara.
Thats big news. Congratulations. You're definently not last.
Im so happy for you and Alvin. You are allways welcome in Copenhagen as well.
How is your Bemba/Nyanja? I allmost forgot it. Last.

Clara said...

yay!! great news sush! phew eh? I'm relieved as it means I can be in school for EVEN longer before I get enuff cash to go to Afrika!! hahaha, oh please, no. congrats congrats.

Jeni said...

Hey Girl,
So proud of you, good goin. I bet Alvin was getting pretty nervous thinking he was going to come freeze his ass off over here. Maybe by the time Clara has graduated, we'll have enough money to come see you too!