Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Where to start?

Well, I certainly have a lot to say…& have been delaying this post perhaps because I don’t know how to include all that I need to say. Please be patient while reading this post that will undoubtedly become disjointed.

I guess I’ll start where I am. It’s about 10:30 pm, I’m fresh out of the bath & typing away on my new laptop. Yes, a reality that should encourage me to write more…but I haven’t opened it since landing back in Lusaka Sunday afternoon. (Part of the reason for that could be a bizarre drive to finish reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin before allowing myself other simple pleasures). Classics, gah.

Yesterday I grinned all morning. As I brushed my teeth I adored the cacophony of dogs & chickens outside my window. Everything looked fresh & open on my walk to work; everything was new & exciting after 3 weeks away. Today, the shine wore off a bit with what may have been a dose of jet lag:-).

Something must have exploded in my body during the 36 hour plane ride back to Lu because I went from everybody back home telling me I looked great, slim & happy to Zambians commenting on my growing girth. Getting dressed for work I was horrified as I struggled to do up the zipper on my skirt- where did all the fat come from overnight?! My suspicions about having gained weight while home were re-confirmed when one of my colleagues said “You’ve grown big”, and one of the guards opened the car gate for me instead of the pedestrian gate “since I’m now fat”. Horrors. Thank goodness the hot season is on its way, I’m sure I’ll drop a couple pounds by bloating myself on ice cold water…my obsession when Lusaka steams up*giggling*

Part of the delay to write has to do with the fact that I have no idea how to thank everyone who contributed to me having a brilliant trip back home. I was so touched by both the little & large efforts of people to be in touch with Alvin & me during our brief stay at my parents’ place. It was flattering & humbling to have so many loving people inquiring about our lives back in Zambia.

My last excuse (promise) is that office life is upside down. We all know after a 3 week holiday how many messages land in the ole inbox…but for me, there’s another complication. While home I heard news that one of my colleagues passed away. Chola worked for the Program Support Unit (directly supporting the Aid Section where I work). Chola & I had worked closely for sometime. Her absence has affected all of us in the office. Sadly, I was unable to attend her funeral as I was still in Canada; I feel no sense of closure & have caught myself picking up the phone to ask her a quick question several times in the past two days. Chola was a special woman; described often as the heart & soul of the PSU. Anyone who passed through the office would remember her for her professionalism, drive, and hearty laugh. If something needed to get done, one only needed to ask Chola, an incredibly efficient and reliable person. A few sentences on my blog seem rather like an affront to the dynamism of Chola. Like I mentioned, selfishly I miss her; but mostly I feel for her family- she left her mother, siblings & two sons. I can’t imagine how her close friends & colleagues are dealing with her loss. September will be a tough month as several members from our team at CIDA HQ (who all knew Chola well) will be visiting- we will long feel her loss.

On this sober note, I shall close this post. It’s getting late & I will regret staying up past my bedtime when my alarm rings tomorrow at 5:15*grin*.
Once more, a humble thanks to everyone who traveled, called, or found a few minutes to visit with me while back in St.Albert. Everything was (and still is) a bit overwhelming. Thanks for your patience also, as I attempt to fall back into routine. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Jules said...

It was so good to see you ever so briefly. You did look good and most importantly happy. Take care and hope you adjust to the jet lag and all quickly. Julie