Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tids & bits

I've been meaning to write, but I've not been 'moved' because my camera has been on loan to a friend...so none of my stories can be highlighted by photos. Sorry.

Friday afternoon I was in the Christmas spirit & happily did up some sugar cookies in the shapes of stars & gingerbread men. I even had icing & sprinkles (I am not my mother's daughter)*smile*. The Zambian bit of the whole baking escapade is that as I was re-rolling out the dough (some cookies had already come out of the oven- baked to perfection) I noticed a dark spot in the dough. Confidently, I thought "worst-case scenario, cockroach"; these things to happen. To my horror, when I went to remove the dark spot, it was a live mealworm. EEwwwwwwww. Hesitation. What to do. Throw out everything & waste all my hard work? With Dolly Parton's christmas tunes serenading me in the background, I made the woman's decision to keep on cooking...though I would refrain from eating the dough raw. Isn't that awful?

Saturday evening after a busy day of basketball, I came home to a refridgerator! I'm thrilled. Absolutely. How does one survive in Zambia without a fridge for over two years...?? You just get used to it. But now I'm excited about all the options I have with our very own fridge*WHOOP*

The team I used to play for (Shells) won the National Championship on Sunday, so it was a very big day! We beat our long-standing rivals- the Buffaloes (& buffalo soldiers they are) by a score of 100-90. There was much excitement & an ice cold Castle Sunday evening*smile*.

Last night (despite the rainy weather) I was able to train my boys, we have our closing tournament this weekend, so we're gearing up for one last weekend of basketball. The skies were clear for the hour and a half I spend with them. As training was about to end, a couple of raindrops fell- the boys start scattering- & within seconds I found myself in a torrential storm. It was crazy! I ran from the courts home, and was completely soaked to the bone. I had to ring out my t-shirts before stepping into the house, I had to towel my hair dry because it was dripping everywhere, and the aftermath is only a tiny aching in the ears. Really nothing to complain about since Luke is down with salmonella- right?! I'm counting my lucky stars...

I hope to put up some festive shots as my camera eventually makes it back into my hands!

No comments: