Monday, January 07, 2008

Inswa- Part II

I stand corrected.

Thanks to an anonymous comment on my blog, I have learned of an error in my ways. I was with some Bemba friends last night, & I asked- so, when people eat inswa, what part of the inswa do they eat? I was answered with blank stares. I elaborated "Do you eat the wings"? Wings? Laughter. No, of course we eat the bodies.

So there you have it. I believe I was misguided by a certain gardener with whom I work. He enjoys terrorizing me with his favourite cuisine (he collects these massive bright green grasshoppers from the nearby trees, fries them up & eats them- whole- just like that. Legs, eyes- all in tact). I have reason to believe that he was trying to mislead me - which I clearly fell for hook, line & sinker. I've been chuckling since yesterday evening, that some random person I don't even know caught my culprit. I'll have to be better about sourcing my stories before posting them up here*smile*

As for Dave (anonymous commenter)- I have never met a Chikanda while living here, but it is indeed one of my favourite Zambian dishes. Do you remember that one? They also call it African Polony...though it's not made from meat- it's made from groundnuts. Delicious with a bit of chili sauce*winning smile*.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Glad to be of service !! LOL
No I dont remember the dish called Chikanda, only my friend who I gave my football boots to when I left. ...The only other thing I remember eating was nshima and kapenta.. the little fish. Oh .. and also the drink Milo. I would guess that you have already had that.
Best wishes
Dave

Anonymous said...

Memories flooding back... BILTONG !! how could I forget that.
Dave

Sarah said...

I think kapenta is my least favourite Zambian dish. I would rather eat vinkubala (the dried/ fried caterpillars)*giggling*. Yeah, Biltong, yum. Never got into Milo. I prefer an orange fanta- you probably left Lusaka too young to try all the awful "home-brewed opaque" beer? Consider yourself lucky:-)

Anonymous said...

Nope, I don't remember vinkubala nor the opaque beer. I do remember Castle lager and Lion lager. I had a couple of sips of them ( I left Lusaka when I was about 10. ). Sprite in the bottles with the knobbly surface and one of the best drinks on a hot day.. Rock Shandy !!
Dave