Wednesday, July 22, 2009

C-c-c-cold

It was 8 degrees yesterday morning. And I believe it stayed pretty close to 10 degrees throughout the whole day. It was awful. A street sign claimed it hit 20 degrees on my walk home from work but I was in a fleece & wrapped in a scarf so I daresay it did not hit 20. (We’re talking Celsius here people)
The positive side of the cold season is that there are very few bugs. Cockroaches hide in warmer areas & do not harass me as they do in the humid rainy season. Mosquitoes generally come out if the day heats up, but for the most part I’ve been enjoying quiet evenings with no buzzing and swatting.
Last night, however, was bizarre. Alvin and I were reviewing some documents yesternight (one of my fave Zambian expressions)*wink* and were shocked at the number of mosquitoes in our living room. I decided to spray in our bedroom so that we could sweep out the mozzies before bedtime & have a restful sleep without the droning creatures. Today I’m laughing, but yesterday I was horrified- there were so many mozzies in the room that when I started spraying- as they frantically tried to avoid inhaling their deaths- they were bouncing off my face. It was awful!
Al & I danced around the kitchen preparing dinner swatting and stomping the mozzies while we let the poison settle in our living room. I’m not too big a fan of these “Doom” sprays but last night was ridiculous. I did reflect on how thankful I am that we can afford to dash down the street and pickup insect killer; we were eventually able to enjoy our evening without the constant drone of the mosquitoes. Imagine if there was no escape?! Horrors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah, I'm sure that you and Alvin know that the insecticide is not good for you. Please, please, please sleep under a net! And, if you can swing it, I suggest investing in some window screens. They really do help. Good luck!
Sorry to hear about the very cold weather. I remember it well. Do you have a heater?
Here in DC it's in the low 30 most days lately.
Hugs,
Heather
P.S. Love the blog!