Monday, January 22, 2007

Rained out!

All I wanted to do this weekend was swim...but the rains forbade me that luxury. It's been cool & overcast ALL weekend, but I must confess the rain proved to be the perfect excuse to stay indoors yesterday & enjoy tea, books, & movies!! So no complaining on this end!

There's a funny story I failed to report last week though. (Well, I think it's funny & several of you may disagree since the last entry I intentioned to be humorous inspired NO comments from anyone. Come on guys- I had grasshoppers jumping out of toilet paper rolls). Well, I'll post this one despite that truth.

I was taking the dreaded bus again the other morning. As the conductor (that's the name for the young guy on every bus who takes payments from the patrons, & announces all of the stops to allow everyone to move on & off the bus) leaned over to chat with me I was nearly knocked over by the smell of the local potent beer- Chibuku Shake Shake. (Shake shake is 'opaque' beer- made with maize meal & is severely fermented...the fumes are enough to set my head spinning)*grin*. I knew I was not going to be interested in ANYthing he was saying...but he said something to the driver in Nyanja that I didn't quite understand. He hops off the bus as we are stopped at a red light (or at the robots as Zambians say) & the driver is looking MAD, saying that the light is turning green right away. The driver starts accelerating & I turn round to find out what the conductor is doing. It turns out the Chibuku ran straight through him & he was taking a PEE in the DITCH of a very busy road.

The best bit- the driver took off, he did NOT pull over to wait for the inebriated conductor, but drove me safely to my destination! I was so chuffed!! No drunken conductor to irritate me, I would love to find that driver again just because he was so cool!!

Yup, my life is fairly exciting isn't it??!!!

2 comments:

luke said...

So THAT'S where the name comes from... theres a big club night in the UK called CHikabuku shake shake... always wondered where the name came from!

Anonymous said...

Shake Shake is not a drink...it is purely awful